This is the first graphic novel that I have ever read. Did it leave a good impression? Let’s find out!
R (Gore, Violence, and some Nudity) ; 192 pages
Everything you thought you knew about witches is wrong. They are much darker, and they are much more horrifying. Wytches takes the mythology of witches to a far creepier, bone-chilling place than readers have dared venture before. When the Rooks family moves to the remote town of Litchfield, NH to escape a haunting trauma, they’re hopeful about starting over. But something evil is waiting for them in the woods just beyond town. Watching from the trees. Ancient…and hungry.
- I liked the new take on the witch lore. You don’t see much about witches anymore so it was a nice change.
- The art was really great. It made the book extra creepy.
- I didn’t feel like I got to know the characters at all. They tried to explain some backstory but it just didn’t stick, I basically forgot it as soon as I read it.
- They tried to make me feel for the daughter, but since I didn’t even feel like I knew her personality it just blew right past me.
- I felt like the story was rushed. A lot of what makes something scary is the build up and suspense and I felt this had neither.
This was really disappointing for me. I wish I would have LOVED this, but it made me wonder if I should even pick up another graphic novel again.
Characters – 2/5 (I don’t even remember their names)
Plot -3/5 (It was a good idea, but not executed well)
Art -4/5 (Really good. Super creepy.)
Uniqueness -3/5 (New take on witch lore)
Overall I give this 2.8 ginger trees out of 5
Have you read this? What did you think about it? I would love to know!