I was in the mood for a fun easy read, and I’ve always heard great things about this book. Did I like this book? Let’s find out!
PG (Some space violence) : 159 pages
Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.
Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker’s Guide (“A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have”) and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox–the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod’s girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years.
The Good :
- Okay, let’s start with something you have already heard about this book. Its HILARIOUS! I have never laughed so hard while reading a book. Seriously, the humor alone is a huge reason to pick up this book.
- This is a classic space adventure, done well. There are lasers, spaceships, and aliens. What more can you ask for?
- I liked all the characters. They were all pretty unique and so funny. Even those written to be slightly annoying are likable.
- There are so many unique ideas, in this book. Most are for jokes, but the majority of this book has some sort of element that I have never read in another book before.
- I felt like the characters got out of sticky situations too easily. Most of the time, it was because it was setting up a joke, but I would still like to see my protagonists using their skills.
- The ending of this book was weak. I understand that this is a series, and it’s setting up for the next book, but regardless I expect it to have a solid ending. As you may know, a bad ending to a book is one of my reading pet peeves.
I really enjoyed reading this, it made me laugh out loud like twenty times. If you like science fiction, or to laugh, check this book out!
- Characters – 3/5 (They were pretty average.)
- Plot – 3/5 (Basic end of the world/space adventure story. Nothing special.)
- Writing – 4/5 (Super funny!)
- Uniqueness- 4/5 (Too many unique things to count!)
Overall I give the 3.5 Towels out of 5!
Have you read this book? What did you think about it? I would love to know!