I was sent this book for review for the purposes of #MysteryThrillerWeek, but this did not affect my opinions and reviews.
I really enjoyed the first book in the Greenhouse Mystery series and had high hopes for this one. Is this one as good (or better) than the first ? Let’s find out!
Megan Sawyer should be shouting from the barn roof. Washington Acres survived its first year, the cafe has become a hot spot for locals, and Winsome’s sexy Scottish veterinarian is making house calls-and not just for the animals! But as summer slips into fall and Winsome prepares for its grand Oktoberfest celebration, beer isn’t the only thing brewing. When the town pub’s owner is killed in a freak accident, Megan suspects something sinister is afoot in Winsome, but no one is listening. As nights grow longer and temperatures chill, Megan must plow through Winsome’s fixation with autumn festivities to harvest the truth, before another dead body marks the season.
Rated – PG 13 (Some intense scenes, Sexual suggestions)
Publication date – March 7, 2017
Length – 264 pages
- One of the main issues I had with the first was the character development. I felt like they were all interesting, but not all were fleshed out equally. In this book, that was not the case. The cast of characters was switched up a bit, and I felt like the issues with inconsistent development was fixed! I feel like I know all the characters and I love them all equally!
- The setting was still so fun! I’m living vicariously through this book, as it has always been a dream of mine to live on a farm, so I’m excited to be reading and continuing this series!
- I think the mystery, in this book, was much more compelling and the stakes felt higher. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and I felt when the mystery was solved that it all tied up well.
- I do feel like the book ends too quickly. Like, the mystery is solved, then the climax occurs, there is a small wrap up and then its done. I wish this book had been 10-20 pages longer so it didn’t seem so rushed at the end.
I really enjoy this series and can’t wait for the next to come out, so I can continue my adventures with Megan and her crew!
- STORY – 4.5/5 (Fun mystery with high stakes.)
- CHARACTERS – 4.5/5 (All were interesting and more fleshed out than the first.)
- WRITING – 4.5/5 (Still as good, if not better than the first.)
- UNIQUENESS – 4/5 (I still have read mysteries like this one before, but the characters and setting make it fun.)
ALL IN ALL I GIVE THIS 4.4 LOCAL FARMS OUT OF 5!
Thanks for reading and I hope you had a great #MysteryThrilllerWeek! What is your favorite cozy mystery? I’d love to know!
SOCIAL MEDIA —
Check out my last post on my short story review of Is That You Jim HERE!