Ok so a new Stephen King book came out. Am I going to miss that? NO! DUH! Did Stephen King live up to his status as my all time favorite author? Let’s find out!
The little town of Castle Rock, Maine has witnessed some strange events and unusual visitors over the years, but there is one story that has never been told… until now.
There are three ways up to Castle View from the town of Castle Rock: Route 117, Pleasant Road, and the Suicide Stairs. Every day in the summer of 1974 twelve-year-old Gwendy Peterson has taken the stairs, which are held by strong (if time-rusted) iron bolts and zig-zag up the cliffside.
At the top of the stairs, Gwendy catches her breath and listens to the shouts of the kids on the playground. From a bit farther away comes the chink of an aluminum bat hitting a baseball as the Senior League kids practice for the Labor Day charity game.
One day, a stranger calls to Gwendy: “Hey, girl. Come on over here for a bit. We ought to palaver, you and me.”
On a bench in the shade sits a man in black jeans, a black coat like for a suit, and a white shirt unbuttoned at the top. On his head is a small neat black hat. The time will come when Gwendy has nightmares about that hat…
Journey back to Castle Rock again in this chilling new novella by Stephen King, bestselling author of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, and Richard Chizmar, award-winning author of A Long December. This book will be a Cemetery Dance Publications exclusive with no other editions currently planned anywhere in the world! — Goodreads
Rating – PG13 (Some violence)
Publication Date – 5 / 16 / 17
Length – 175 pages
The Good :
- Good lord, where do I even begin! I guess my favorite part was the story. Not only was it fantastical, but it was an EXCELLENT story about human nature. Without spoiling anything, the story was all about what people do when they have been given immense power.
- The writing was also really good. I have an issue with co-written books because I can tell the difference between the writing styles, but I actually forgot that there were two authors involved with this. Seriously there was no way to tell at all.
- Also, there were GORGEOUS illustrations.
- This book was SO quick. Like I literally read it in an hour and wanted to pick it back up immediately after.
- I felt like there were too many characters introduced in this book and all but the main character were just shadows compared to Gwendy. I think it would have been smarter just to focus on the one character.
NO BAD! YES YES YES!
- STORY – 5/5 (Seriously an amazing story about what it’s like to have power and what it’s like on a normal girl and her normal life.)
- CHARACTERS – 5/5 (Gwendy was AWESOME and so was Richard but everyone else was basically just nothing EDIT: I decided to give this a pass since it was only a novella)
- WRITING – 5/5 (I just love Stephen Kings writing so much. I will never not rate him 5/5)
- UNIQUENESS – 5/5 (A box that gives silver dollars and animal shaped chocolates? Tell me what other book has that premise please.)
- ENJOYMENT – 5/5 (I loved this so much. I literally read it in an hour and want to read again. There were so many tie ins to the Stephen King Universe and for me that is so much fun for me.)
ALL IN ALL I GIVE THIS 5 BUTTON BOXES OUT OF 5!
Have you read this? What did you think about it? I’d love to know!
Thanks for reading!
SOCIAL MEDIA —
Check out my last post on my review of We Are Always Watching – Hunter Shea HERE!